Thursday, October 28, 2010

USB DAC PCM2704

Finally, I managed to save enough money to buy my first USB DAC. The one I bought is a mini USB DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) using a PCM2704 chip. It's not a high-end stuff, but people say that it's a good start for newbies (like me) in the audiophile world. Do note that this is just a DAC, without a built-in amplifier.

Here are some specs of the item taken from the seller's thread:

  • Sampling rates up to 32, 44.1, 48kHz, 
  • 16bit digital sigma DAC, 
  • THD+N = 0.006%(RL>10k ohm), 
  • SNR = 98dB, 
  • Dynamic Range = 98dB
  • Windows 7 64/32 supported
  • Asio4all supported
  • (I have no idea what most of them mean. That's how much of a newbie I am.)
Here's the audio setup:
foobar2000 v1.1 > Wasapi output > USB DAC > Audio-Technica AD500
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Bit depth: 16 bit
Songs: Too many to mention here. Rest assured they're all FLACs.

And here's a picture of it:



I don't know much about audiophile terms and stuffs, so I won't comment much on the sound quality of the USB DAC. Let's just say that the bass is greatly improved, while the mids are somewhat suppressed. Would probably work much better with an amplifier. Hmm, guess I need to save up for one...

0 comments:

Post a Comment